Friday, March 7, 2008

Friday Funnies: "When Life Reeked With Joy" Part One

I first read "When Life Reeked With Joy" in grad school in 1982 or so, when it was passed among the teaching assistants in the Florida State University freshman writing program. I knew the handy Internet would have a copy!

I like the tradition I've seen in blogs for posting something funny on Friday, so here's my first entry, a small serving of this little confection, lest you be gagged by the whole thing at once. And if anyone needs an editing exercise, you will find working with this kind of like popping a balloon--full of smiles, but then kind of disappointing in the end. :-)

Forthwith, Part One:
When Life Reeked With Joy
                         By Anders Henrickson

One of the most hilarious forms of comedy, a favorite with most of
us, is the blooper. And some of the best come from the pens of college
freshmen. Following are some inspired examples:
During the Middle Ages, every body was middle aged. Church and
state were cooperatic. Middle Evil society was made up of monks, lords,
and surfs. It is unfortunate that we do not have a medivel European
laid out on a table before us, ready for dissection. After a revival of
infantile commerce slowly creeped into Europe, merchants appeared. Some
were sitters and some were drifters. They roamed from town to town
exposing themselves and organizing big fairies in the countryside.
Mideval people were violent. Murder during this Period was nothing.
Everybody killed someone. England fought numerously for land in France
and ended up wining and losing. The Crusades were a series of military
expaditions made by Christians seeking to free the holy land (the "Home
Town" of Christ) from the Islams.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a tall order for a comment! Can I just settle for a "thanks, that made me laugh"? :-)

Quotidian Life said...

Very funny--and a little painful. Well, at least I am feeling a little better about my own childrens' writing!

Cindy Marsch said...

I hope the new comment note pleases you, Renee. :-)

Sharon said...

Oh my. My favorite was "Everybody killed someone."