Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Friday Fictioneers: "Castle"

First things first--congratulations to Jen / Elmowrites on her great creative act of the week--baby Sebastian!

I missed Friday Fictioneers last week, but at the first glimpse of this week's photo an image formed in my mind, and ten minutes or so later, I had this:

Castle


Rosemarie must put her hand up against the wet pane—it drew her to take measure of her enclosure.  Last night she had basked in the yellow glow of the room, safe from the black outside. Then the patter of sleet, then the almost inaudible exhale of snow gathered on the window as she slept. At dawn the light was muted, grayed down, and with a catch of breath she untangled herself from the bed and set one foot to the cold tile, leaning across the space to the window.  Her curls caught in the starched lace of the curtain.



100 words

Please jump in and join us if you like. I really enjoy this part of my week!

18 comments:

janet said...

Very nice, but chilling (literally). :-) Lovely descriptions.

Dancingirl said...

I would love to do this, but am inept and untutored in much of this internet interaction in writing. How do I participate?

Becky

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields said...

Blasted curly hair has a mind of its own. Inaudible exhale of snow is nice.

waitingforaname said...

I love the descriptiveness of this story. It just feels alive... in a beautiful, almost surreal way.

Cindy Marsch said...

Thanks so much, Waiting, Rochelle, and Janet. It all just came to me as a single movement, really, that leaning out of the bed to the window, the compulsion to put a hand up to the glass.

Becky, please join us! If you click on "Friday Fictioneers" link at the top, you'll go to the page that has all the info you need. If you want to just watch to begin with, to see what everyone else does, that might ease you into it. I started back in August and have missed just a couple of weeks so far. It's a lot of fun!

Unknown said...

I loved the descriptions here, very well done

Abraham said...

The descriptive language is very nice!

Anonymous said...

I enjoy this part of the week too, Cindy... As I enjoyed your story... comforting...

Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy,
Beautiful description of a cold, snowy night and the next morning.
Ron

Douglas MacIlroy said...

Dear Cindy,

Your story was a beautiful evocation of winter and light and the silent fall of snow in the night.

Thank you for taking us there..

Aloha,

Doug

brudberg said...

Lovely language, and I can feel the winter coming in your language

Tom Poet said...

Lovely...

Jackie said...

really enjoyed it. Can just picture it. Thanks

billgncs said...

very descriptive, reminds me how nice it was to stay in bed on cold cold mornings.

Anonymous said...

A moment in time beautifully capture in language. I'm at http://photovignettes.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/friday-fictioneers-jimmy/

Shirley said...

This pic is generating some ominous stories. Loving them. Great job.

Cindy Marsch said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments, everyone. I'm tardy commenting on other people's work, but here I go! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your story gave me a strong sense of place. Felt cold, too!